Wednesday, April 29, 2009

In some ways I might be a 12-year-old boy...just sayin'

Okay, not really, but I sort of felt like it last night. I'd had a long day...it did perk up mid-day, but then there was the metro break-down on the way home and subsequently a very crowded train and a man who did not need to be standing as close to me as he was, smelling the way he did. Then the pollen explosion during my "hill workout" (I'm not kidding, I could feel it coating my mouth and skin) and the cramping hamstrings and calfs...I know, I'm borderline whining. But all this to get you to the end of my day, which was really great

I'm laying in my bed, watching season one of Robin Hood (greatest Netflix find this year), brushing my teeth, trying to decide if it's too early to turn in for the night, when Emily gchats me from the second floor asking if I'm home. Then asks what I'm doing. I tell her. Then I say, though I think we should be playing Nintendo. She agrees. I head down to the (much cooler) second floor.

Super Mario Brothers 3: I love that game so much. I think it was the first videogame I ever won. Countless hours spent on it as a teenager. It was actually kind of scary to find that after this many years, I still go to the same blocks, use the same turtle shells, the same tubes, fly in the same places, and still play with the B button constantly pushed. AND, we both found ourselves playing along with the other when it was their turn. There were lots of close calls and gasping, but we made it all the way to level 3 without losing one life. But let me just tell you, the water world is HARD!! It always has been. But Emily has a cheat book (seriously, 12 year old boys!) and we got the frog suit out of one of the mushroom houses.

The dumb squids stole our suit from us long before we were ready to give it up, but we had fun with it nonetheless. About that time, I had to put myself in bed for real and wished we'd had time to get to the level where we could use this bad boy:


I love the Tanooki suit.
I can't wait until the next Nintendo night.
p.s. I ended my game at level 3 with 15 lives. Just sayin'...

4 comments:

eMiLy said...

reading this seriously makes me want to leave work and play Mario Brothers 3 ALL day.

Kim said...

It makes me want to join you. I remember playing the original super mario brothers my freshman year of college, a little embarrassed that I remembered everything...and no one else did...

Natalee said...

Hey sis, love the pig/kid picture. It had me laughing so hard! FYI, I have super mario bros 2 and 3 and super mario world on my Wii. Awesome games!Used the frog and tanooki suits just over a week ago!

Gary

David Grover said...

I don't want to brag, but I can still beat Mario 3 in 20 minutes without dying. I do it probably 6 or 7 times every year. So if you get stuck, just give me a call.