Tuesday, April 14, 2009

Confession

I'm actually a little bit embarrassed to offer up this particular confession because it's just the sort of thing I make fun of my mom for.

Up until about a week ago I thought

The Stay Puft Marshmallow Man
was actually
The State Puffed Marshmallow Man
I know, I know. It makes no sense, but I saw Ghostbusters for the first time when I was pretty young and that's what I heard and I've had no reason to even consider I had heard wrong. Imagine my surprise when, while purusing last year's Peep Show contest on The Washington Post's website, I saw a diorama of the famous scene from Ghostbusters with a caption that had the correct spelling (and therefore the correct concept). It was like this gigantic lightbulb went off in my head as I thought, "Aaaaaah, now that makes more sense."

5 comments:

michelangelo said...

i have to confess, i don't know what real difference that makes. but maybe i just don't know what "puft" means or something.

Julie Bradshaw said...

it's more stay vs. state than puft vs. puffed...

Anonymous said...

And you thought the turnips were scary. I can't watch that part of the film...not and have good feelings towards marshmellows.

michelangelo said...

ahhhhh, now THAT makes more sense. apparently, you couldn't hear so well back then. which is not nearly so bad as my apparent inability to read right now.

Natalee said...

In the song "I am a Child of God" my sister Shelly thought for the longest time when she was a kid that the line was "parents kind of weird" Rather than "parents kind and dear". It made perfect since to her the first way so she never really questioned it.