Friday, April 17, 2009

I should be working

I should be working, but instead I'm dreaming of the next three days...

I thought this day would go by far too slow, so when one of my bosses came out and said she was going to another office to work because hers was too messy, I decided this would be a perfect project to pass my half day. I don't know about you, but when I would become overwhelmed with the disorganization in my room, my mom would offer to come sit with me while I worked. This way I was kept company and when I wasn't sure how to organize something or where to put it or whether or not I should throw it away, I had the master organizer/thrower-awayer right there to advise me. I have realized over the years that I have picked up this habit, for better or for worse. I enjoy helping others clean and get organized, even if that just means sitting with them quietly and reading a book so they don't feel lonely, so I told her confidently we could have it workable in 15 minutes. She looked skeptical, but I decided to be forceful (which I think surprised her - I'm not often that way) and practically dragged her back into her office to address the...tornado of papers. I'm not kidding.

Undaunted, I launched right in. I began labeling things, taking piles of papers away, slotting boxes for shredding, getting rid of empty boxes, etc. Within 15 minutes, as promised, her office was clean and ready to be worked in. But guess where all the boxes not slotted for shredding are now? You guessed it. In my workspace.

Now, while I love getting myself and other people organized, I absolutely hate Accutracing boxes, which is our firm's program for file storage. I'm not sure why, but there it is. So what have I done instead? Well, I checked the weather in Jamaica, thought about how hungry I was and found my yogurt and granola bar, talked to little brother Tommy on the phone, made a list of things to pick up at CVS on my way out, thought about my book choices for the trip (hoping I've chosen wisely), tried to figure out if I forgot to pack anything (not that I need much more than swimsuits, sunscreen and a PASSPORT, but I had a terrible dream the other night that I showed up in Jamaica and had forgotten to pack my swimsuit! and I wasn't sure last night I actually knew where my passport was since I hadn't looked for it since the move. Thank goodness for everything having a place and everything in its place...), and now I'm blogging about my avoidance.

I know if I don't do something with these boxes now, they will sit here for a week as I employ more avoidance techniques. And honestly, it will take me maybe 30 minutes (the amount of time I've been avoiding them) to actually file them away. I guess I better get to it, because in 2 hours, I'm outta here!

(Oh dear, now the fire alarm is going off. Maybe I'm not going to get to this today...)

No comments: