Tuesday, April 28, 2009

From hot mess to happier mess

Do you ever have those mornings when you wake up and you know it's going to be a rough day? Well, for me, that morning started at 1 a.m. when I woke up at the wrong end of my bed. Literally. I had been asleep for about 2 hours (a miracle I even fell asleep considering it was about 85 degrees in my room) and when I woke up I found I had relocated myself to the edge of my bed right under the ceiling fan. I had also opened my window at some point and I think it was the sound of a fire engine that had woken me up. I got up and closed the window and tried to go back to sleep...

The rest of the hot mess of a morning all stemmed directly from the heat and the associated issues of showering and getting ready (still 85 degrees in my room), as well as a wardrobe choice with serious issues that were not noticed until I was on the metro. [sigh] I got to work only to find a huge stack of agreements ready to be edited and I just sat and wished I could go back and start the day again, preferably with a better attitude and/or sense of humor (and an air conditioner that actually works).

I had to settle for a vent session in my journal, a couple of pep talks with friends, and the harsh reality that I was at work and was going to have to recover the day somehow. Mercifully, the stack of agreements weren't as horrendous as I thought they were going to be, I made lunch plans with a dear friend, and then I came across these gems of photographs on Facebook:

This picture makes me laugh so hard

I know where those eggs have been...

This sort of feels like an Andy Warhol painting to me for some reason, or something out of Brave New World or something equally creepy.

What a great weekend

What a poser....



What a great group to ride with!

I'm still dreaming about that ice cream...
After viewing the pictures (and probably commenting annoyingly on said pictures), I had the lunch date with my friend, outside on a blanket in a park, whereupon she played for me a song that she recently heard that made her think of me. We laughed together as I listened to the words, and I felt very grateful for a friend who knows me so well.
Turns out I didn't have to go home to start the day again. Turns out I just need good friends and a few good laughs. Though I wouldn't mind an operating air conditioner and a more work-appropriate outfit... :)

1 comment:

eMiLy said...

I can see the lust in your eyes for that ice cream.