Sunday, April 12, 2009

Easter thoughts

Last Sunday was our church's General Conference and one of the talks that made a particular impression upon me was one given by Elder Jeffrey Holland.  Elder Holland is a speaker I often connect with because of his choice of topics and the manner in which he addresses them.  He often speaks to the very things I am struggling with and speaks to them in a way that touches my spirit.  Last week was no different.  He spoke about lonliness and about our Savior's final days, particularly the final suffering of the atonement. This week the church put out a video with a portion of that talk combined with some music and clips from a moving video called Testaments.



As I watched this video this afternoon, I reflected on an experience I had on Friday. I have found myself distracted this week and have found it difficult to focus on Easter as much as I would have liked to. On Friday as I took a walk during lunch, in a hurry to run an errand across town, and cut across the park in front of the White House, where there are often protests and other displays. As I entered the park I saw a display I had seen in years past but had forgotten about. There were several men dressed up as Roman soldiers and one man dressed as Christ and carrying wooden cross. They walked slowly and silently through the park. At first I was a little bit embarrassed by this display. I'm not quite sure why, but I was. Then I observed the behavior of those around me. Some were staring with similar feelings of discomfort; some were oblivious; some were taking pictures; some were stopped reverently. As our paths were about to cross, my feelings began to change, but I didn't understand them. I knew they had moved away from discomfort of the display to discomfort with my own reaction. I considered what the reaction of the people of Jerusalem would have been on that Friday. Were there some who stared in discomfort? Were there those who regarded it as just another criminal trial and therefore were not interested? Were there those who payed attention and made mental historical notes? Were there those like me, unsure of how to feel, but sure that they must feel something? All these thoughts took place with lightning speed as our paths crossed moments later. As soon as I passed Christ, my spirit reacted. Unexpectedly, I felt pain, I felt the tragedy of that day, but I also felt of God's love for me and for all of us as He sent His son to live and die for us. I felt my eyes well up with tears and a few spilled over as I passed this silent march. I repented for my initial discomfort and expressed gratitude for these people's willingness to remind me of the significance of that day.

As I prepared myself this morning to sing my solo part in Beautiful Savior, I considered the words I would be singing. This hymn has a beautiful, simple melody and a simple message: the world is a glorious, beautiful place. Take all that glory and beauty and it does not compare to that of Christ. That is pretty remarkable. During the closing prayer of our services today, I felt that reaffirmed in my heart. I was touched by God's love for me and for all mankind.

I know that Christ lived and died for us and was resurrected on the day we celebrate as Easter. I know that He loves us and that He walked that lonely road alone so that we would not have to. I know his sacrifice opened up the way for us to return to our Father in Heaven. His sacrifice makes this life worth living, for without it we would be lost. For that I am eternally grateful.

Happy Easter.

4 comments:

Lincoln and Alisia said...

Thank you for posting this.

Natalee said...

I really feel a connection with Christ knowing that he understands exactly what i am going through. Happy Easter Julie.

M. said...

Happy Easter to you too. ;) Lovely post as always!

Mom Bradshaw said...

Well said Julie. Lots to think about.Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts and experience.