Thursday, January 22, 2009

Thursday's wish

Thursday's Wish:

That every workday could be like today.


Early this morning: I got to go swimming with three of my favorite people in DC. Even though a couple of them are far too chipper for that time of the morning :) I love them a lot and am grateful for their friendship.


Later this morning: I got to commute into work with Katie. We laugh a lot together, but this morning we also talked about some more sober things on our minds. I'm so grateful that I have a friend with whom I can laugh as well as talk about the weighty matters of life.


Lunchtime: Katie is working just three blocks from my office this week. We met for a last-minute impromptu lunch at ABP which proved to be the best decision of the day. We got all of our somber talk out of the way this morning. Lunch was solely for the laughs. A taste of our conversation:


J: Sometimes I have a hard time feeling like a girl. Too often I feel like I get treated like one of the boys.
K: That's ridiculous.
J: Yeah, I know. I need to get over that feeling. M told me once that I could be quite sexy when I wanted to be. I found that kind of funny.
K: That's hilarious. Did he point out anything in particular?
J: Oh no. I knew exactly what I was doing when I was doing it.
K: Then why can't you do that now?
J: Because when I was doing it then I knew he was looking.
K: And now?
J: No one is looking.
K: Ah. Sort of like if a tree falls in the woods...
J: Exactly.
K: Maybe you should invite someone into the woods.
J: I'll post an advertisement on my blog. How do you think that would go over?
K: I'm sure you'd have some takers.

This afternoon: I've kicked my workouts up a notch the last couple of weeks and as such have had a greater need for hydration. Of course, that also necessitates more frequent trips to the restroom. Three this morning, in fact. I know, overshare Julie, but it's pertinent to this story. We have automatic faucets in the restrooms but every time I have walked into the bathroom today the faucet I usually go to has not been working. In a hurry to get back to my desk, I have just shifted over one sink, washed my hands, and moved along. However, after lunch, I had to go yet again and stuck my hands under the same non-functioning sink (habits, people, habits) and in frustration finally took a moment to look down to see what the matter was. Well, remember when I had to give my input on the faucet's in the ladies' bathroom? Well yeah. I thought that issue had been resolved a long time ago but apparently not. They switched out the faucet yet again to an antique looking double-handled hand-operated faucet. I laughed outloud in the bathroom thinking about how dumb I have looked all day sticking my hands under a non-automatic faucet, waiting for water that would never come, and then moving to the next sink without even stopping to consider why there was no water flowing. I really do get a kick out of things like that.

Currently: Breaking my no-sweets-at-work rule. Mint 3 Musketeers are so much tastier than I thought they would be.

5 comments:

Adriana said...

I always break my no-sweets-at-work rule. Today was Swiss chocolate. Well worth it!!

Julie Bradshaw said...

I would break it for real Swiss chocolate as well. :) The reason I have the rule for work is because my willpower is so weak at home. :)

Kimberly said...

ok...the faucet story is pretty awesome! :D

mrsboxtop said...

Love the faucet story!!!!
Do you have any cool inauguration day stories?!! You know...like the secret service storming your building or crazy guys in puffy jackets getting tackled.

Rachel said...

I'm glad I'm not the only one! They got a new paper towel dispenser at the gym that is not automatic. The other ones were. I put my hands under it 3 days in a row, completely disgusted that their "new" dispenser was already broken, before I realized it wasn't automatic!