Thursday, January 8, 2009

Thursday's Wish

Wish #1:
That ice would melt on the trail before I wake up to run on it. Thankfully, no spills this morning, but there was plenty of unintentional ice skating going on. Treacherous! How am I supposed to train in this?!

Wish #2:
A repeat wish I made before Christmas: That my house would pack itself and magically appear at my new house, and, as a bonus, DEJUNKED. Seriously, I have lived in the DC area for 5 1/2 years and it is astounding the things I have accumulated. In some ways I am really embarrassed by all I have. I think about the humanitarian trip I'm planning for this summer and how little those people have. Looking at my boxes upon boxes of books and stationery and sewing materials and kitchen whatevers last night made me ill; not because I was thinking about moving them, but because I was disgusted with the excess and lack of simplicity my life has taken on over the last couple of years. Last night I determined that I have to go through a bunch of already-packed boxes and take out the stuff I haven't touched in a year or more. And then make do with what I have and quit accumulating. Another part of me doesn't feel bad at all, because most of the stuff I have is what it takes to run a comfortable home in the US, but in the end I think the first feelings of repulsion are going to win out.

I wrote a letter to a friend last night after I had this realization and decided to list out to her what I would take with me if I was limited to a handfull of boxes. It came down to about 20 of my favorite books (including scrips and such), running and swimming gear, some pictures, my diplomas, my computer maybe and some clothes. I don't think my iPod even made it onto the list. I looked over the list and thought, why do I own more than what is on this list?! I sat in the silence of the night and came up with a few key reasons why. The list of reasons why I guess is now my list of personal improvement goals for the year. So I guess I don't want wish #2 after all. Packing up has been really good for me. Humbling really, and it's been at least a good two days since I've had some serious humbling...

I still really want wish #1.

2 comments:

Rebecca said...

I know what you mean about all the stuff!! This last move really got my attention as to how much stuff we own. The kitchen alone could fill a mini van! But then you start thinking that you actually do use your toaster, and crock pot, and mixer, and griddle, and tupperwear, and George Foreman's grill! I mostly part with clothes and knick knacks every time we move. But it never ceases to surprise me how much stuff we use and own. Good luck packing!

Natalee said...

Every now and then I get totally disgusted by all that I own and get rid of a ton of stuff. I feel so free when I'm done. I keep a huge plastic tub in the garage for donations so that I can constantly get rid of stuff. Every year before christmas we get rid of a lot of the kids toys to make room for new toys. I hate having extra stuff around.