Monday, December 8, 2008

I should start a support group

Really, I could start multiple support group given the myriad of quirks I possess, however, today I'm starting a support group for ladies with fine hair. I don't mean the "Dang girl, you look fine!" kind of hair, or the "How does my hair look?" "Your hair looks fine" kind of hair. I mean the kind of hair that doesn't obey unless you coax it with lots of product and hairspray, and even if by some miracle you manage to get it to do something, there's no guarantee it will stay there for longer than 20 minutes. I mean the kind of hair that looks stringy when it's too long, flat if it's too short, and "eh" anywhere in between. That's what I mean by fine hair. Those with fine hair tend to make lots of mistakes with said hair. Some of us are on an endless search for the product that will give our hair body without weighing it down. Some eschew all product in hopes the non-weight of product will miraculously produce bounce. Some of us have resorted to pixie cuts and pomade. Some find the perfectly stacked haircut that requires little maintanance and actually works. We all dream of having luscious locks--it ain't gonna happen, but we dream. And while holding onto those dreams, we sometimes resort to drastic measures.

Exhibit A: velcro/hot rollers.Hot rollers seem like a good idea to achieve body. You can hairspray your head all at once, roll the hair up, and leave them in until they cool and viola! Easy peasy. Wrong. Girls, if you have layered chin length hair or shorter do not give into this temptation. I repeat, do not give in.

Exhibit B: My hair at church yesterday.

I recently decided to invest in Exhibit A. My hair has reached that awkward length where I can't fit it into a satisfactory ponytail but it's long-passed the punking out phase. I decided hot rollers would be a nice break in the chin-length bob monotony. I WISH I had a picture of what it looked like when I took my hair out of the rollers. The only way I can describe it is medusa on top, mom on the bottom (if any of you have seen pictures of my mom, she has the most perfectly coifed hair - a.k.a. the proper use of velcro curlers).

Sadly I had chosen to give Exhibit A its trial run 15 minutes before I had to leave for church. I didn't panic. My hair, being oh so fine, usually calms down fairly quickly. Yeah...turns out that I've actually found some really great styling cream that I use (Bumble & Bumble products, though very expensive, are a Fine Hair Club member dream come true) and it worked like a dream with the hot rollers. Without boring you with the details, it was sort of a disaster and I didn't have any time to wet it down and start again. So I ran my fingers through it and said, well, serves me right in my vanity.
Exhibit C: Pomade.

It was already shaping up to be a little bit of a rough day aside from the hair. I took a little breather in the bathroom between sacrament meeting and Sunday School. I was fussing with the hair from hades when DeEtte walked in. She said my hair looked nice. I laughed and proceeded to complain about the disaster that was Exhibit A. What does she do? Not only does she commiserate with me about a velcro roller nightmare she once endured (she's a Fine Hair Club member herself), she pulled out pomade, hairspray and a pick. In 30 seconds flat I had a much tamer 'do that actually looked like what I had envisioned for the day. Why I didn't utilize this solution at home, I don't know. I think I was in too big of a hurry to realize I could fix it without starting over.

Exhibit D: The morning after.
Seriously, some day someone besides my roommmates will see the awesomeness of my morning hair after a day like yesterday. Again, wish I had the presence of mind to take a picture before I headed out for my run. Members of the FHC, UNITE!

6 comments:

M. said...

um, I'm in.... thus i just always throw it in a ponytail.... but I WOULD like to do something with my hair... Do you think the rollers would work for me?! I'll try your bumble & bumble. Where did you get it?!

Kim said...

I don't even want to hear it, Juls. I LOVE your hair. Try having curly hair for a few days and you'll be begging to go back to your soft, pretty, shiny, healthy, fine hair.

jocie said...

i'm in the club. may i be the vp? my hair doesn't even stay in a ponytail. it is too fine so it just slides out. grrr...

Julie Bradshaw said...

Yeah, I definitely don't get to be president of this club. While my hair doesn't cooperate like I want it to, there are others who have it worse. I think Cherie gets to be prez and Joc can be vp.

Bumble & Bumble can be purchased at most salons. I get mine at salon cielo after Kristen works her magic in cutting my hair. She is also a member of the FHC and gives dynamite FHC haircuts!

Anonymous said...

Should I post the ridiculous erray of photos I have(in my stupidity) taken in trying to find the perfect do. Sadly, I'm a product of the 80's and a lot of experimentation. The saddest of course was just before my wedding, which just explains the extremes I went to, in order to defy gravity. I still don't know why I didn't stop my friend when she proceeded to wrap my hair in 60 of the pink perming rods. I looked like a poodle. I didn't want my husband marrying a dog, so of course I washed it a billion times. They call it permanent for a reason. I'm so glad straight hair is back in style. Mine's about as straight as it gets. And fine? forever....ugh.

Cherie said...

I swear by Bumble & Bumble :D

Nomination accepted. I wish you had taken a picture. I would have added it as an addendum to my morning-hair slideshow.