Monday, November 24, 2008

Thanksgiving happiness

For as long as I can remember, Thanksgiving has been my favorite holiday. Growing up, we would get up early and get a couple dozen donuts on our way to the practice fields at our local junior high. Around 8 a.m. the ward would start to gather for the turkey bowl. The game was traditionally between the young men and the elder's quorum/high priests, but it was also a family affair. The kids would play their own game off to the side and the moms would sit and chat and eat donuts and drink juice (except for my mom...she always stayed home to cook for the masses). I'm sure it comes as no shock to find out that I complained rather loudly each year that I wasn't allowed to play; I was a fast runner and a great receiver, but alas, my gender was against me. By the time I was a teenager, though, we didn't have enough young men to field a team and so they needed me (suckers). I was proud to be one of the players who came home caked in mud with a few bruises underneath it all. There was something wonderful about stepping into that hot shower, knowing that when I emerged Thanksgiving dinner was not too far away.

Turkey, mashed potatoes, corn, rolls, stuffing, green bean casserole, cherry pineapple dessert...it was heaven at Grandma's and Grandpa's. If it was chilly enough, we even got a fire in the fireplace. As evening fell we would all eventually wake from our respective food comas and be ready for pie. Mom would ask Grandpa every year, "Apple or cherry?" to which he would reply "Yes." It never got old. And then we would watch either White Christmas or Holiday Inn.

My grandparents have passed on and the house has emptied out. The traditions have changed and I don't always get to go home for Thanksgiving, but my love for the holiday has not changed. I love Thanksgiving for many reasons, but mostly because it feels so good to be grateful. This year I feel particularly so. Last week for FHE we had a "Cornucopia of Gratitude" night, I think it was dubbed. As I considered all that I was grateful for, I felt myself become a bit emotional. A lot has happened this year. I have experienced some significant trials, but the blessings at the end have been even more significant. I've seen miracles happen in my life and in others' lives. As I have considered these things over the last week I have felt how much my Heavenly Father truly does love me and all of His children.

I make a list every Thanksgiving. It tends to be pretty comprehensive. I won't share everything here, but I thought I'd give you some of the highlights. They aren't listed in any particular order. Enjoy!
  • Cookies. There's just something about them that make me so happy. I am grateful for the nights where there are cookies, good friends, some cold milk, and an empty kitchen floor. It can set any day right.
  • Blustery days. There's something comforting and a little romantic about going out into the elements while bundled up in a big, chunky sweater. I love it when the wind whips my hair around my eyes and blows some leaves across my path. I feel in those moments God lets me know He's alive.
  • Blankets. Combined with a fire and a good book (or conversation, or cookie, or movie), this might be one of the greatest joys of life.
  • Good books. See above.
  • Good conversation. The best usually come from reading good books.
  • Good music. Playing, listening, attending...I'm grateful for it all.
  • The beach. I love the feeling of the sand in my toes. I even like the feeling of sand in my teeth when I'm eating a hot dog post-body surfing. I love watching the sunset as we're all huddled around the bonfire (even if the green flash is a myth). I love the wind and the waves.
  • My family. We're big, we're sort of loud, and we really love each other. I'm grateful for whatever pre-earth process determined my placement with the Bradshaws.
  • The gospel. It binds my family together; it binds my friends and me together; it gives life meaning.
  • The temple. I am grateful for the binding ordinances performed there. I am grateful for the peace that is found there. I am grateful God has given us a place on earth where He dwells, a place we can come if we are worthy.
  • Dove soap. It smells so good.
  • My kindred spirits. You know who you are. My life is made rich because of you. I am grateful for the moments when we don't have to say anything and it's okay. I am grateful for the times we laugh so hard and so long that our sides hurt, our eyes leak, and the room fills with an almost tangible energy. I am grateful for the roll of toilet paper you keep in your car for teary conversations. I am grateful for P&P, for Taco Tuesdays, for Bad Poetry Night, for Last Call, for freezing morning runs and misheard statements (I wonder if jaw straps are uncomfortable...), for DDR and bats, for dancing in hurricane rain, for Baltic states, for Baja Fresh and homemade guacamole, for the reenactment of the tiny towel story at 2 a.m., for piano duets, for all the "oh gosh" moments, for "do as I'm doing," for Collin Golightly, for bad novels and even worse film adaptations, for not having to preface anything, and for all things confessional. I am grateful you love me in spite of me. I am grateful you let me love you.
  • I am grateful for you. I really am. I probably don't say it enough but to all who render service, to all who let me serve them, to those who take time to just sit and chat, who forgive me and let me grow, who trust me to forgive and let you grow...you have my love and my gratitude.

Happy Thanksgiving!

3 comments:

Mom Bradshaw said...

I look forward to your Thanksgiving list every year. Each year I think it is the best thus far. I think this year's is definitely the best, though. It reflects all your experiences and the consequent opportunities you have taken advantage of to grow,to love, to learn. Thanks for being the wonderful, extraordinary Julie you are.What a blessing you are to all of us!

Natalee said...

Good list Julie. Happy Thanksgiving.

Dad said...

Great list! For all my gripes and moans regarding my years at Skadden, I'm grateful for the friendships it gave to me, yours included. Happy Thanksgiving Miss Julie! Safe travels wherever you're headed this year!!