Monday, May 25, 2009

To My Great-Uncle Wilford

This morning I got up with the sun and went for a run/walk.  I went to the beach for the weekend (sort of against my better judgment) and felt some sadness this morning that I had removed myself from all of the wonderful memorials this city has to offer on such an important weekend.  I felt a great desire to go to the WWII memorial to lay a flower at the base of the Utah pillar in honor of my great-uncle Wilford, but instead I made do with a walk in solitude.

Uncle Wilford was only 19 when he fought in the Battle of the Bulge in WWII.  He was my maternal grandmother's brother.  She didn't talk about him a lot, but when she did it was always with love and a little bit of sadness.  Whenever I think about Wilford, I think about how much life was lost so young.  I tried to picture what it would be like to lose a brother in war, and thought about how many people are living that reality today.  I felt gratitude this morning for the service the military renders, but also thought about a day when wars won't be fought, when there will be peace on earth, and wondered how that will ever happen.  And when.

I didn't make it to the memorial today, but I will this week and will take a moment to pause under Utah, to say a prayer for peace, and leave something in remembrance of Uncle Wilford's sacrifice.  I am grateful for the knowledge of eternal families so that I can hold on to the hope of meeting Uncle Wilford someday.  

1 comment:

Mom Bradshaw said...

Thank you for your comments about Uncle Wilford. When I took it upon myself to write his personal history I came to love and appreciate the man I never knew but wished I had.He was remarkable in many ways but his zest for life impressed me most deeply. And what time he did have here on earth he used well. Perhaps this is the legacy he has left for all of us to ponder.