Monday, May 4, 2009

Confession: I sort of wish I was Maid Marian

I really thought the confession well had run dry, but apparently as I live life, I continue to generate more confessions. I should probably be more embarrassed about aspects of this confession than I'm going to be, but the embarrassment is outweighed by my current enthusiasm. I'm sure in a few months it will wear off and I'll reread this blog post and blush a little bit, but for now...

Some of you know of my medieval...leanings. I studied medieval history at Cambridge for two summers during my masters program, did most of my masters work on Tolkien, have a penchant for King Arthur, love the brilliance of Monty Python and the Holy Grail and am generally drawn to other various medieval appropriations, whether in book, film, or song. [Side note: No, I did not go to BYU and therefore no, I was not part of the "medieval club".] My interests are primarily scholastic in nature. However, I have been known to indulge in the occasional guilty pleasure.


Behold:

Robin Hood.
Be still my beating heart.
I know he doesn't look like much here, but rent, check out, buy, whatever, this BBC series. Trust me, you won't be sorry. It's smart, it's funny, the music is great, and the cast amazingly stacked with talented, reprehensible creatures as well as surprisingly charasmatic ones.
I was up until 1:00 this morning finishing season one, and for those who know how strict I am about my bedtime on a weeknight know, it takes a lot to break that routine. But I just had to know what happened.
I can hardly wait for season two to arrive...waiting...waiting...not so patiently...

(If you're still not convinced (this reference is primarilyfor the ladies because most men I know have not seen North & South), Mr. Thornton plays the Sheriff of Nottingham's right hand man...so if Jonas Armstrong (Robin Hood) is not enough to tempt you, just think about that one.)

(Picture courtesy of Emily via email this morning. Subject line: "welcome to work ms. bradshaw")

3 comments:

eMiLy said...

so many things have lead me to believe that we are kindred spirits...but when i found out we both shared this guilty pleasure, I could smell eucalyptus oil in the air :)

Ashley C said...

You comin' with me?

Could there be a more perfect ending scene? I think not. You may have just convinced me to give Mr. Armstrong a try.

M. said...

all the more reason we are friends... I won't admit how many times I've read Tolkien.. let alone seen LOTR films. Um, i loved Monty Python so much my friends and i made our own film in HS. oh yes, my confession could go on. I can't WAIT until you get season 2. :)