Friday, May 29, 2009

To My Dad

There are lots of things that come to mind when I think about my dad. I think about how funny he is and how people, if they don't take the time to talk to him one on one, often don't see that side of him.

I think about how he's a different person when he gets away from the city. When he's in Nevada/Southern Utah he takes on a boyishness that I love to see.

I remember the family home evenings we would have, and how he and Mom insisted on having them every Monday night, no matter where we were. I loved that he would dress up with us and tease mom and all of us kids.

And we would tease him (this was taken after we'd accosted him outside the new bathroom...)



Some of my greatest outdoor memories of my dad involve the hatchet.
He really could make a perfect bonfire that would smolder into perfect s'mores coals.


Hahaha. More FHE pictures. This was from "hat night". We were just getting ready to play "the basketball game" (I have no idea what it's really called).

Evidence that Dad can fall asleep anywhere, anytime.

A trait he passed on to most of his children

Just another crazy night in the Bradshaw home.

I love how my parents never hid their affection for one another in front of us kids.

We have this amazing backyard with delicious fruits and vegetables, due in large part to Dad's research and execution of proper pruning and nutrition of plants.

We were just getting ready to go apple picking in the backhoe (Dad's idea - shocker).

This time last year, when Dad was diagnosed with cancer, I made a spur-of-the-moment trip home. It was one of the best decisions I made last year.

I love this picture of my parents. It says so much with just one image.

I love that Dad loves to laugh. I love it when he gets laughing so hard sometimes he cries and that it often happens during family prayer. He's usually the one who has to leave the circle to wash his face before we can continue in reverence. Usually it was something fairly innocuous to set him off; but his mind gets going on a tangent and he can't stop laughing.
I love that he loves to be surprised and delighted by unexpected things
I love that Dad loves to play a good practical joke.
I love telling Dad stories that involve my feistiness. His reactions are always perfect.
I love that he's a good listener and will talk for as long as you need to talk.
I love that he has spent so much time becoming who he is and gaining so much experience which he then shares freely.
I love that he wanted to have a big family.
I love that he wants to see his kids succeed and does all he can to that end, even when it means letting us tough it out alone.
I love Dad.
Happy Birthday, Dad! (I miss you...)

1 comment:

Janey said...

awwwww good ole papa bradshaw! Happiest of birthdays to him!!!