Monday, February 9, 2009

Warm Weather and Dodgeball

This weekend made me so happy for many reasons. First and foremost, I got my "Thursday's Wish" from last week. The granting of this wish was really at the heart of my great weekend. I needed a warm day. God granted me two (going on three).

I milked Saturday for all it was worth. I had a long run in the morning then went on a long-ish bike ride in the afternoon. It was heaven. Coming back on the WO&D trail, there was a wooded area on my left and an open-ish field on my right. The sun was low in the sky, giving off my favorite kind of pre-dusk light, but still high enough to warm my back. I coasted for a moment to just...bask. I really am a solar creature. I can maybe stand another few weeks of winter having had that reprieve but I can hardly wait for real spring.

Saturday night, after my marathon day of exercise, I got to have dinner with a good friend with whom I studied abroad almost four years ago. We met up at our usual place near campus and spent three hours catching up over a disappointingly new menu (how do you take BBQ pulled pork off the menu after 4+ years, I'd like to know), discussing everything from books, to the food bank, to the economy, to foreign affairs, to love affairs, to getting beat up by life. As my friend finished telling me about her past 2 weeks, which, admittedly, were pretty hellacious, she summed it up like this:

"I feel like the last 10 days have been like one big game of dodgeball. And I'm the fat kid with asthma."

It took a moment for the image to settle in, but once it did I just laughed and laughed.

I came home exhausted but so happy. I slept well for the first time in weeks and had a great Sabbath, complete with a peaceful afternoon walk in the warm sunshine. Two glorious days of warmth. I'm grateful for wishes that come true.

1 comment:

Rachel said...

Oh Julie - your "Thursday wish" came true for us today too! After a snow-filled Valentine's Day, the sun came out today with a little extra energy it seemed! Thanks for sending spring to us today too!