Thursday, March 8, 2012

Hired

Yesterday I thought I was coming down with something. The last couple of days have been really draggy, punctuated by bouts of nausea. Nevertheless, I've had to push through the sickies to complete last-minute planning items, getting the house ready for company, unpacking bridal shower items into the kitchen and house (so exciting!), and...preparing for a job interview.

I know.

Worst. Timing. Ever.

I wanted to put it off. When I thought I was going to lose last night's dinner this morning, I wondered how wise it was. But there was no time to reschedule. And Dave and I both agreed that we need me to have a job. A real teaching job. Otherwise we both might go crazy. So, today I dragged myself to my interview at Dixie State College and prayed I didn't pass out in the middle of my teaching demonstration.

I shouldn't have been worried. One of the best things about teaching is the adrenaline rush of standing in front of a class. No matter how bad of a mood I'm in or how tired I am, when I stand up there, I go through an amazing transformation. The energy I get from imparting information and engaging with students makes everything else melt away. Today was no different. I was on fire.

The interview as a whole went really well. I like the feel of campus. I like the faculty members I met. I arrived feeling unsure that this was what I wanted to do and left hoping I would have a chance to teach there. When they dismissed me, I was told I would receive an email later that afternoon, after they had discussed me and my interview. I felt pretty confident they would offer me a position, but you never know. (Funny enough, after I walked out of the building, my nausea went away. Turns out it was all just stress...)

By the time I got home, lo and behold, I had an email from them: They would like me to teach three sections of freshman writing starting this fall. A Tuesday/Thursday schedule no less!

It's yet one more miracle in a long series of miracles that have brought me to St. George to marry Dave. I get the man of my dreams. I get to continue the job of my dreams. And I get to invest in my new community. It's hard to believe that after all of the pain of the last few years, God has decided to bless me with more than I would have ever dared asked for. It's pretty incredible. I think some prayers of gratitude are in order tonight.

11 comments:

Adriana said...

Congrats!! Is Max Rose still there? He was Vice President when I was there...

Karen Adair said...

Two words (besides the ones I just wrote). You. Rock.

:)
Congrats Sis!!!!!! So happy for you. Happy happy happy happy happy happy happy.

Janey said...

Ahhhh happiness!!!! Yay!

Janey said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Janey said...

Ahhhh happiness!!!! Yay!

Janey said...

Ahhhh happiness!!!! Yay!

Millicent said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Millicent said...

Congratulations, Julie! Those little freshman will be lucky to have you as their teacher.

Wonderful story. Wonderful life. :)

Marlise said...

That's so awesome!! Well done. You are amazing. Heavenly Father sure loves you--but I've always been confident of that. Congratulations!

jenni said...

What a woman! And you are right, what a generous Father in Heaven we do have. You're going to be a great Mrs. Grygla!

Carolyn and Glen Grygla said...

Julie...We're so proud!!! Our first Professor...:o) We are the ones feeling blessed these days..
Love you...Elder and Sister Grygla