Sunday, August 10, 2008

Just call me Tom Cruise...

Confession:

Michael Phelps brought me to my feet...on our leather couch. Actually, more accurately it was Lezak and his amazing final 10 meters in the men's 4x100 freestyle relay. I couldn't help it. It was purely an involuntary reaction. One moment I was sitting crouched in a ball with my heart pumping, praying that the French wouldn't crush us too badly, harboring the tiniest hope that maybe, just maybe, we might pull off a miracle. Then, as our team creeped up, I found myself leaning forward, muttering things like "pull harder" and "more kicking, people," my hope growing exponentially. By Lezak's leg I began to think that maybe we had more than just a chance. And as he came screaming down the last 50, I was on my feet, screaming at the television, realizing that we might actually beat the French and cream the world record while we were at it. And sure enough, Lezak touched and turned...and as his face registered their win, so did my voice. And there I was, standing on our leather couch, screaming and clapping and high-fiving my roommates.

I am not ashamed. Michael Phelps has been on my wall of fame/shame for many years (Cherie, I still miss it and consider recreating it in all its glory, Aragorn poster and all) and he will continue to be so long as he keeps swimming so pretty and fast. And I'd like to add Aaron Pearsol to the mix this time around.

I have at least two more weeks until I can get back in the pool. Until then, I will continue to go hoarse for Team USA. [sigh] I love the olympics.

3 comments:

layjent said...

this time you won't have the bookcases to cover the wall when people come over though!

M. said...

we need to watch the rest of these together... I <3 the swimming!!!!
ps. i'd love to see that poster. My friends sent me Legolas on my mission. hilarious, and of course i kept it, he is beautiful...it made all the sisters happy :)

Naomi said...

Julie, it's clearly going to take a much more serious medical procedure to keep you from being a true athlete and fan :). I hope you're doing well!