Friday, August 15, 2008

Hoarse...again

I love USA swimming. Heck, I love swimming in general. But watching the machine that is Michael Phelps has been so exciting. I knew tonight's race was going to be close, but I didn't think it would be that close. I don't blame his mom for almost passing out on the spot from shock. My heart was pumping well beyond the 100 bpm the doctor ordered me not to pass...sheesh. My favorite post-race moment was watching the look on his face when he looked at the clock and saw just how close it really was. It was this sheepish little look of, "yikes, that was really close." But honestly, the kid's gotta be exhausted. The fact he's held on this long is amazing. I'm sure tomorrow's race will be another nail biter.

My other favorite moment of the evening: the British swimmer that smashed the 19 year standing world record in the 800m freestyle. A country with a weak swimming tradition (at least on the women's side) having the honor of smashing that record...it makes me feel all warm and fuzzy. There's nothing quite like cheering on the underdog to a win.

On a completely unrelated note: my roommate heard flapping noises in the basement tonight. If that bat is back, so help me...

3 comments:

Lincoln and Alisia said...

I totally agree. Lincoln and I have been watching the Olympics non stop. It is so addicting! And yet very inspiring.

David Stoker said...

I hear there is an American runner nicknamed Batman, maybe you basement friend was stirring in anticipation.

Anonymous said...

Rock on for all the athletes!!!! As I sit on my couch watching them, while eating popcorn and ice cream. "GO...people with energy! Hurray!"