Tuesday, October 16, 2012

Coming out of retirement....maybe.

A year ago, I spent conference weekend at my aunt and uncle's ranch in southern Utah. This year, I'm watching it with this man:


A year ago I didn't even know he existed. It's funny how much can change in 12 short months.

A year ago, I also said I would never ever run another marathon. I was a little bit tricked into doing the St. George marathon this year and consequently had a bad attitude about the whole ordeal throughout my training. I was well aware of the pain that awaited me, never mind the fact that I was training through a St. George summer.

As the time drew nearer, I was less and less certain I was going to run the darn thing. Then, two weeks out, I rolled my ankle on a rock. I thought that was going to seal it for me. But then I got to thinking: I had never signed up for a race and not run it. I couldn't bring myself to stand at the finish line of a race I could have run. So, I found myself up and dressed the morning of October 6, standing in line for a bus to take me 26.2 miles away from home. 

My time goal was to run around 4 hours. My overall goal was to have a positive attitude throughout the race. Have fun. Push through the pain that was going to come around mile 21 and not let myself get defeated by it.  Consequently, this is what I looked like at the finish line. 




Compare that to the end of this marathon, which was only run 4 minutes faster.

Anyway, I had a great time. I felt so happy. I ran a 3:44:49. My quads were shot. My husband was smiling. I thought that maybe I could run another marathon. Someday. 

No comments: