Monday, January 9, 2012

Dresses and Moonrises

So, I bought my dress in Salt Lake City without really thinking about the logistics of alterations and fittings while living in St. George. In my defense, I didn't really think I would be moving to St. George as soon as I actually did. And even when I left, I thought, no big deal. Then, when I actually GOT to St. George, I realized that the reason I moved there in the first place is because the drive is long and a little pricey. [sigh] Consequently, the dress has been a serious source of stress since it was purchased. So, imagine my delight when Dave informed me that he had to go up to SLC for a meeting and wanted to know if I wanted to come with him and hang out with my family and friends for a few hours. I called the dress shop, found out that all pieces of the dress had arrived, and scheduled a fitting!

With transportation logistics solved, I felt a lot better, but there was still the stress of whether or not the dress was actually going to fit. I prayed that the alterations were not going to be complicated. I couldn't really afford the stress and time of extensive alterations. Plus, the holidays were not kind to the bootie. I prayed it still fit...

I had a lot of time to think on the flight up. Turns out wedding planning is not actually my favorite thing, but getting married to Dave is the best decision I've ever made. I have to keep reminding myself, especially when I feel like sitting in the middle of the floor and giving up, that the most important thing at the end of the day is that I'm married to Dave. Everything else is just extra happiness. I was thinking about all of this while watching the sun set in the west. The whole horizon was a rich orange, yellow, and red. Then I looked east. I saw a similarly colored glow behind the mountains. I'll admit, I was confused for a moment, but just then the moon peeked out from behind the mountain. It was such a beautiful sight to see the sun disappear and the moon appear at almost the same moment.

The moon climbed higher in the sky as we got closer to our destination. Once, when Dave was on his way to come see me (when we were still doing the distance thing), Dave had sent me a text exulting over the beauty of night flying over Utah lake. I didn't ever think I would have that experience for myself, and yet there were were, flying over Utah Lake, bathed in moonlight. There are certain things you just can't see from the ground, and that's one of them.

We landed safe and sound. The dress fit. Dave made it to his meeting. And he made it home safely. Now he's back in St. George and I'm in Utah County, getting "recharged," which really means purchasing items that can't be found in St. George and wedding planning with dear friends and family.

No comments: