Friday, September 26, 2008

Happy smells make happy people

I smell really good today. I'm not sure what makes today different from any other day. I washed my hair with the same shampoo, used the same soap, same lotion, same everything. But for some reason, I can still smell my soap (9 hours later), which is one of my favorite smells in the whole world. Maybe because it makes me think of newborn babies. I wish they bottled that smell, because I would carry it around with me all day, every day. But that might get awkward because when I smell that particular smell I want to cuddle and nuzzle and kiss and....what? Isn't that everyone's instinct when they hold a newborn? I digress.

I thought today about some of my favorite smells and why they are my favorite. Some I know why, others I don't. I've tried to put them in order, but of course it all just depends on the day.

1. Dove soap, the original white kind. See above.

1a. Newborn baby. I think this might be the same smell as Dove but I'm not sure. See above.

2. Fresh cookies. I know, I know. It really says something about Dove soap for it to be #1 and cookies to be #2. I'm serious about my love for that smell.

3. Ocean air. This is smell and feel combined, though.

4. Men's deoderant/cologne. I don't know why. I don't have a particular favorite "scent." I just like the sporty-smelling deoderant. And not on me. Not that I've ever tried them on. I'm just saying that this one might also be smell and feel combined. Not feel, but object-related. Nevermind. As far as cologne...I know there are a couple of smells that I love no matter who they are on. I just don't know what they are called, which is really very tragic.

5. Red Christmas spice(?) candles. The cinnamon ones, I think. I don't know what exactly they are, but they are red and I love them. I feel like the Christmas season has really started when this smell begins to waft through the house.

6. Pot roast on fast Sunday. No joke. There is nothing better than coming in the door from church and being blasted by the heavenly aroma of pot roast slow-cooking in the oven after having been without food for a solid 24 hours. Mmmmm.

7. Wet cement. Usually right after it starts to rain. Or on a hot summer day when you've been playing with the hose and you shouldn't have been because we're in a drought and we've been in a drought for the past 8 years...[sigh] Seriously, I think the drought lasted my entire childhood.

8. The new shed. The shed doesn't smell good, but it smells like hiking and camping since that's where we stored all the stuff. That's the smell of adventure.

9. Cleaning products. I do love me a clean bathroom and kitchen.

10. Chlorine. More specifically, the way I smell when I get out of the pool. Sometimes (when I swim regularly) I start to smell like this all the time, no matter how many showers I take. I actually really like smelling like the pool. I remember the first time I sat in my car on a hot day the day after a particularly long and hard workout. I sniffed and thought, did I leave my towel in here? Looked around. Nothing. Sniffed again. It was me. In that moment I felt so tough, I can't even tell you.

Favorite smells? Anyone? I know I can't be alone in my love for Dove...

5 comments:

MF said...

my wife has this lotion from bath and body work, sensual amber or something like that. Ho.Ly. Cow. Love it.
Also, Lovespell by Victoria Secret. Yum.
Also, bread being baked.
Cookies always smell good.
And ice cream. Oh wait. That's totally taste. Nevermind.

Anonymous said...

Okay, first of all as a mother of seven I can tell you happily that they DO bottle the newborn smell. It's a baby soap that's actually sold in the stores. No joke. I'll get you some. :) As far as favorite smells go? New books (the smell goes away after someone reads it--so I love the smell when IIIIIIII get to read it first), sausage (mmmmm makes me hungry like a bear), Drakkar (men's cologne--or more specifically my husband's...enough said), and I tried to develop a tolerance to the newborn baby smell, because quite frankly I need to be done...immune...and moving on. Ha Ha Ha. Books are safer, and keep me up at night for a different reason. :)

GRRidd said...

1. Freshly-cut grass.

2. The mixed aromas of the dirt, lawn, river, cottonwood, and willow trees at the old family homestead.

3. The smell right before a storm someplace dry

4. the smell of freshly-fallen snow.

Janey said...

Ohhhh i took a full 24 hours to think of these.

1. Kaua'i. The whole thing. Different smell every few feet, always good.

2. oreos.

3. Movie Theater Popcorn. I like the smell WAAAAAAY better than the taste.

4. Fresh pineapple, oranges, grapefruit, etc.

4a. Any candle that smells like above.

4b. Volcano Candle from Anthropolgie.

5. Grapefruit body wash in the steamy shower!

Natalee said...

I love the smell of oranges. I also love the smell of the dirt in the vegetable garden I used to have. I love love love the smell of freshly washed kids.