Thursday, July 21, 2011

The Men of Lark Rise and Candleford

It's a long list, and not nearly as star-studded, but I could be an early fan of many on this list. Let's first start with the attractive and/or hilarious but taken.

Robert Timmins
(Brendan Coyle)


Brendan Coyle is quickly becoming one of my favorite BBC staples. He played Nicholas Higgins in North & South and John Bates in Downton Abbey (a must-see after you finish Lark Rise to Candleford - streaming on Netflix). He is a bit type-cast--strong, opinionated, advocate for the working man, principled above all--but he plays the part so well. Robert is a devoted father, a loving husband who isn't quite sure he's liking the changing tides of women's rights, and the hamlet's political pot-stirrer.

Twister Turrill
(Karl Johnson)

I have never seen this actor before but he is hilarious. He blames every lazy bone in his body on "the rheumatism" and yet he finds enough energy to get into plenty of trouble around the hamlet and in town. There isn't a penny in his pocket he doesn't spend on drink, much to Queenie's ire. However, his shenanigans are perfectly balanced with his spells where he isn't quite in his right mind: he gets lost sometimes, hears voices, and sees visions. You're never quite sure if he's gone loopy or if he's connected to the earth in a way similar to his wife, Queenie.

Thomas Brown
(Mark Heap)

I thought I had never seen this actor before, but apparently he was one of the King's sons in Stardust. That makes me laugh a lot; those sons are pretty hilarious. Thomas Brown falls into the in-between category of the Men of Lark Rise: he eventually enters the realm of the married but until then (and after, I suppose) he is a most devoted servant of Her Majesty, the Queen, as Candleford's postman. He is also obsessed with being a Christian and is determined to convert everyone around him. His self-righteousness can be wearisome at times, but he also has his fair share of hilarious moments.

--And now we transition in the MEN of Lark Rise. Between Laura and Dorcas Lane, there are many, uh, treats that make their way through Candleford. Some are better than others. Let's begin with the most stable character.--

Alfie Arless
(John Dagleish)

Alfie (or Alf, as he's known in Lark Rise) is Laura's childhood friend. He might even be a little sweet on her, but since I'm not doing spoilers here I will leave it at that. It is really a pleasure to watch Alfie grow from a child into a man in this series. He has a less-than-responsible mother, a father away at sea, and four younger siblings, so he has to grow up pretty fast. He is a man of the land, through and through, and a loyal friend and lover. I love how his story ends up.

Laura's Love Interests

Phillip
(Oliver Jackson-Cohen)
The fact that I can't find one picture of this guy in costume leads me to believe that people feel the same way about him as I felt about my high school boyfriend: better left in the past, better if it hadn't happened at all. I was glad to see Phillip kicked to the curb and with as much passion as Laura did it with. Good riddance. (Sorry for breaking my spoiler rule--I just can't stand this guy.)

Fisher Bloom
(Matthew McNulty)

Why I can't find a better picture of him is beyond me. This hardly does him justice. Fisher the clockmaker. Mmmm. As Mac (my friend who introduced me to this show) said, "Have you gotten to Fisher yet? When you do, hold onto your socks." I had no idea what she meant, but when I got there I knew she was right. Fisher is like every bad-idea/"but he has so much potential" boyfriend I've ever had or tried to have: he is so hot, the kissing is amazing, but you know he can't possibly stick around. Or can he?

Daniel Parrish
(Ben Aldridge)

Be still my beating heart. Seriously you guys. Look up his profile photo on IMDb. YOWSER. I mean, when you meet him as Daniel, he's a total prick. I really didn't think he was going to last. And when he did, I wasn't sure I wanted him to. And I'm still not really decided, except that I think Daniel is the most accurate representation of what real-life-with-a-man-you-want-to-marry is like. There are power struggles, mistakes are made, feelings get hurt, but ultimately you are on the same basic trajectory and you make it work. Plus, the kissing is still really good and you know he'll stick around.

Dorcas Lane Love Interests

I knew I had arrived at adulthood when I realized I wasn't slobbering over what's-his-bucket in that Amanda Bynes' movie, What a Girl Wants, and instead was actively lusting after Colin Firth (who was not the intended eye candy for the teens the movie was aimed toward). I have to say that the fact I was more invested in the following men plants my feet firmly in womanhood.

Sir Timothy
(Ben Miles)
Sir Timothy is the squire of Lark Rise and Candleford, childhood friend of Dorcas Lane, and spends a curious amount of time at the post office. He's also married to Lady Adelaide. I detest infidelity of any kind (real or fictionalized) and so, while the chemistry between him and Dorcas is incredible, it always left me feeling pretty unsettled. I think I have secret fears of marrying the wrong person, and this just kind of added to them.

James Dowland
(Jason Merrells)

Wah wah. What a sad follow up to Sir Timothy. Former Lark-Riser, now-successful hotelier, barging in on Candleford like he owns the place. Not cute. Not charming. Ends up being kind of pathetic. Blech.

Gabriel Cochran
(Richard Harrington)

Man. Or, as Dorcas says, "He's a manly man." A former blacksmith, and down on his luck after the unexpected death of his wife, Gabriel wanders into Candleford looking for work. Dorcas just happens to have an empty forge and a need for a blacksmith, perfect for him to start over. He's hot-blooded and passionate, but can also be quite contemplative. He's not perfect by any means, but he's the just type of man you hope wanders into your life after a long dry spell following a whelp like James Dowland.

And that, my friends, is it. Watch it quickly so we can talk about it!!

11 comments:

Cherie said...

I'm trying!! I almost want to up my Netflix account so I can have more than one DVD at a time. Or I should just buy the blasted thing.... :)

MacCarey said...

I love Twister and Minnie too! They're my faves (non-romantic) hands down.

I think you might be too hard on James Dowland. Maybe I'm projecting, but he has a lot of initiative and vision, he just pushes too much and is uncomfortable with any sort of nebulousness. I find him more sympathetic than anything else. My favorite Dorcas love interest by far. And as far as Laura's go, Fisher now, Fisher then, Fisher forever.

Kim said...

Julie, I blame you for this new addiction and the desire to go back to England...but who are we kidding, really? I love this show!
Also, I know we only saw him for one episode but you forgot the school teacher--loved him! Oh, and I miss Fisher.

Unknown said...

I totally disagree with you in everything you said about James Dowland
(Jason Merrells) ,I thought he was the best among Dorcas's men,he was the right man for her and it really left me wondering why did'ntt he stay for the last two seasons ,but I must admit that he (at some point) acted poorly, but charming ?absolutely ,handsome ??oh yeah.

Lucinda said...

Lost interest completely in this series after "James Dowland" was written out. Finished it all and cannot believe that Dorcas was given daniel when she could have had Dowland!!

loveslarkrisetocandleford said...

I love this show. I have watched it now,on Pbs 3 times, although I always seem to miss parts of it.. I couldn't stand Philip either. He was around way too long.. ugh.. I loved Fisher, so sexy,so handsome,so charming, what not to love?? I wanted him to be with Laura, so much, but she needed somebody more uppity.,. which Daniel fit the bill perfectly., I never liked him, from day one. He was an annoying, self centered, stuck up pretty boy, who always seemed to me ,should have been paired with another guy instead of a girl . Oh well. And Sir Timothy was absolute most gorgeous man ever.. Too bad he and Dorcas couldn't have been married when they were younger. They truly loved each other. Adelaide never seemed right with him ,to me.. although she was certainly beautiful enough, and I did have to pity her, knowing her husband loved another woman. J.D was ok... meh,, not bad looking, but couldn't compare to Sir Timothy, just kind of pathetic, not much charm there. I couldn't help but feel sorry for him ,though. I loved Mr.Delafield, so handsome and charming, but he was gone before we could really fall for him.. Then,here comes Gabriel Cochran..good looking, warm ,but guarded , bc of his ill fated love for his late wife. I was glad to see him and Dorcas end up together, however.. Seemed to be a good match and had a real love that could grow stronger in time I also loved Minnie and Alf getting married. SO cute,and so sweet..Minnie was really comical...made me laugh out loud ,more than once. Loved Queenie and Twister.. and Thomas and Margaret .. Robert and Emma became quite tiring. I was almost glad when he left.I adored Dorcas.. a very lovely, in depth character.. All in all, I do miss this series. even though it is on ever afternoon , I wish there was some new episodes to get into.They truly dropped the ball, badly, on this one. Everyone loved Downton Abby, while it bored me to tears.. Such a shame, the powers that be didn't give Lark Rise to Candleford the attention Downton Abby was given. So much more worthy , in my opinion.

Unknown said...

Me too. It pisses me off whrn she refused to give him his child. Who does she think she is. He needs time for transition but he moved right in with her a stranger. When she ran away eith the kid after hearing his father ask him to come to him (oh how abusive that was). I was done. She did nothing but try to make the kid fear him. With her stupid looks every tume he would talk pulling him behind her when he asks him to come to him. Cant understand why this show was popular. Stupidest characters and morals. I hate Minnie and Twister. Stupid selfish and trashy

Unknown said...

Me too. It pisses me off whrn she refused to give him his child. Who does she think she is. He needs time for transition but he moved right in with her a stranger. When she ran away eith the kid after hearing his father ask him to come to him (oh how abusive that was). I was done. She did nothing but try to make the kid fear him. With her stupid looks every tume he would talk pulling him behind her when he asks him to come to him. Cant understand why this show was popular. Stupidest characters and morals. I hate Minnie and Twister. Stupid selfish and trashy

Zillah Wannabe said...

Greetings!

I've been trying to figure out where Sir Timothy Midwinter belongs in the list of British aristocracy.

While looking up the highly confusing world of the British nobility, I learned that titles run in a strict order, with Dukes at the top and Hereditary Knights, whatever they are, at the bottom. And the way folks are addressed depends on the title, which isn't always the same as the nobleman's last name. These are "hereditary titles," meaning that they are passed down from the father to the eldest son. (Forget it, ladies.)

Anyway, The Squire in "Lark Rise to Candleford is called "Sir Timothy," which rules out (in descending order) Duke, Marquis, Earl, Viscount, and Baron. If he were one of these, people would call him "Lord Midwinter," or whatever name the title started out with. (Remember Downton Abbey? The Earl of Grantham is addressed as "Lord Grantham," although his given name is Robert Crawley.)

That leaves just Baronet and Hereditary Knight at the bottom of the list. Holders of these last titles are addressed as "Sir First-Name." Like Sir Timothy. Regular knights, like Sir Terry Pratchett and Dame Margaret Thatcher, are allowed to use the title only during their lifetime. And the title is definitely not passed down to the next generation.

So. Can anybody out there satisfy my curiosity? Is The Squire a baronet or a hereditary knight? Or something else that I've overlooked during the mere hour or so that I spent researching the subject? Please. This has bothered me for years, and I'd be truly grateful for the answer.

With many thanks in advance ~

Cheryl P said...

Not sure if this answers your question...


3 a : a member of the British gentry ranking below a knight and above a gentleman
b : an owner of a country estate; especially : the principal landowner in a village

From Merriam Webster dictionary.

Lana Kohl said...

I cannot stand "Mr. J.D." From the very first episode, he is the perpetual show-off. I can understand there being a boyish overeagerness in returning to his hometown and relishing in how high he's climbed, but he never just settles in - it is his defining personality. He is indefatigably smug and condescending, even to people like Dorcas who are his equal. That whole parish council election? He really thought Dorcas would be impressed and turned on by him at any point by the way he acted in that campaign? No friggin way. That's not playful teasing, that's just being a prick.

-SPOILERS BELOW-
.
.
.
.
The episode where he does finally propose to Dorcas, I do feel a little sympathy for him. I think he should have just been honest about the situation when first asked - especially with the "other woman" in town - but it's clear that the other woman is only his past, not his present and never his future. I appreciate his character in that episode and at any time he interacts with Queenie. But that's it.

After Dorcas realizes she was too harsh when she declined his proposal, basically says she might reconsider him, but needs some time...he doesn't leave her alone to take that space and broods himself nearly into bankruptcy.

And with his kid? He claimed to be acting on the kid's best interests, but only based off his own experience. He never once even though of asking the kid himself or looking into the kid's situation like Dorcas did.

Once the kid gets to Candleford, it is a mixed bag, really. Dorcas was taking care of him while his dad was hospitalized, James was making an effort as best he could, BUT THEN WHAT. The exact "I want him to be happy, so let's leave him at school" attitude he so forcefully was ruled by before turned into "I don't care how markedly uncomfortable or even afraid he is around me, he belongs to me, bring him to me!"

I just can't even with that man.