Wednesday, February 6, 2008

Addendum, Courtesy of Animal Control

The following is found on the Arlington County Animal Control website:

Bats hibernate in winter, and their young are born April-July. They cannot gnaw or dig, relying instead on existing openings to enter buildings. Actual damage is minor, mainly stains and odor from feces and urine. Ammonia will drive them out of the attic. If a bat is flying inside the house, don't panic. Try to isolate it in one room and call the League for assistance. Do not touch it. Remember, bats eat insects, not people.


Problems I have with this statement:

1. It is winter. This bat clearly is not hibernating.
2. I'm not sure where the opening is in our basement but I'm not about to put ammonia down there to "drive the bat out." It would drive all of us roommates out as well.
3. Have they ever been in a room with a flapping bat? Don't panic? Right. Check.
4. "Bats eat insects, not people." Sure thing. Rabies, anyone?

And don't worry - they just told me that I have to go in the basement, spot it AGAIN, and then call them and they'll be right over. AND THEN told me not to touch it because bats carry rabies. Sick. Gross. Where are my home teachers when I need them? Bless Jay for coming to the rescue. More later...

No comments: